The State Government has set up Jharkhand State Mineral Development Corporation Limited with the following roles:
- To acquire, take mining lease, prospecting license, reconnaissance permit, acquire mines, beneficiation plants, concentration and refining plants, acquisition reclamation and improvement of railways, tramways, roads, sewerage, drainage, power supply work, power generation plants, irrigation tube-wells, canals, water works, water reservoir, surface water rights.
- To work on mines and mining rights acquired by it for crushing, quarrying, smelting, refining, dressing, marketing and prepare other value added products from ores, metals, mineral substance, carry out metallurgical operations.
- To provide technical consultancy services in exploration, mining, process engineering, manufacturing, operating data, plants and other related matters.
- To encourage joint ventures in the State, Union Territory, other States and abroad with private concerns or corporate bodies in the field of reconnaissance, mapping, prospecting, detailed exploration, mining, beneficiation, metallurgy, mineral processing, manufacture of products, civil construction on mines, power plants and other activities related to its objectives.
- To enter into long-term agreement for supply of minerals, coal, coal bed methane, processed ore, minerals, raw materials, rocks on long term basis by the said joint ventures or independently.
- To construct mine entries and carry out all civil work related to mining.
With 18 Executives and 270 staffs, JSMDC has a dedicated team of technical personnel like Geologists, Mines Manager, Mining Engineers, Surveyors, Draftsmen, etc. Hence it is in a position to develop any mine/mineral in scientific, economic & systematic manner.